Hot Foot Trini: a Trinidadian who is always going somewhere
Welcome to Hot Foot Trini, a travel blog seen through the lens of a Trinidadian-born woman who traveled independently since 2002, lived and studied abroad in the UK for four years, and taught English in the heart of the Japanese inaka (countryside).
My name is Suzanne. I started Hot Foot Trini on Blogger in 2011 and then moved to this website in 2016. Since then, the blog has evolved from a personal travelogue to a repository of travel stories and practical travel advice. It’s also accompanied by the work of Jesse, my husband and creator of Live Lyfe Photography. He’s also a Hot Foot Trini.
This blog focuses on:
- travel books/reviews and recommendations
- offbeat and popular destinations in Japan
- destination and culture guides for Trinidad and Tobago (written by a local)
- tried and tested tips and advice about living, working, and traveling abroad (especially as a person of color)
- vivid and engaging travel stories
Unlike some other travel bloggers out there, I’ve worked in English language education, journalism, and corporate communications. My writing has been featured on Matador Network, Savvy Tokyo, GoNOMAD, Wanderful, World Nomads, The Culture Trip, and Caribbean Beat. I’m also a Meaningful Travel Insider (MTI) for GoAbroad.
When I write something, I try to be as honest as I can. No B.S. here. I tell it as it is so you can make up your own mind. I also enjoy telling a great story so if you’re looking for stunning pictures AND vivid imagery through words, you’re in the right place!
- Caribbean Beat: Word of mouth: long days by the beach
- Caribbean Beat: Soup Without Borders
- Wanderful: Please Stop Telling Me My Country Does Not Exist
- Matador Network: 19 Trinidad sayings everyone should start saying
- Matador Network: 10 unforgettable street foods you have to try in Trinidad and Tobago
- Matador Network: 23 signs you were born and raised in Trinidad and Tobago
- Matador Network: 9 fears only those from Trinidad and Tobago can understand
- Matador Network: How to piss off someone from Trinidad and Tobago
- Matador Network: 12 lies guidebooks tell you about Trinidad and Tobago
- Matador Network: The 8 best hangover cures in Japan
- Matador Network: 10 things that happen to you when you move to Japan
- Savvy Tokyo: The Stunning Beaches of Shimane Prefecture
- Savvy Tokyo: Taking it slow in Jaisalmer, India’s golden city
- Savvy Tokyo: A weekend getaway in Kuala Lumpur
- Savvy Tokyo: Izumo, the land of the gods
- Savvy Tokyo: Getting your head around fascinating Delhi
- Savvy Tokyo: Immerse yourself in real Japan at Mihonoseki
- Savvy Tokyo: Explore the unexplored in Tottori Prefecture
- Savvy Tokyo: Matsue: an underrated culture destination
- World Nomads: 6 Things I Wish I Knew Before Travelling to Japan
- World Nomads: Hiroshima Must-Do: Discover Japan’s Most Infamous City
- World Nomads: Our Pick of Hiroshima’s Must-Try Bars & Restaurants
- GoAbroad: Deciding where to study abroad – not as easy as it sounds
- GoAbroad: 8 Student Exchange Programs for College-Bound Teens
- GoAbroad: 10 Highest Paid Teaching Jobs Abroad in 2017-2018
- GoAbroad: Is Teaching English Abroad a Good Idea?
- GoAbroad: Not Just for Teens: Gap Year Travel Programs
- GoAbroad: 5 best cities for studying in Korea
- GoAbroad: 8 Affordable Summer Study Abroad Programs for 2017-2018
- GoAbroad: Get Right Down to Business with a 3 Month Internship Abroad
- GoAbroad: 10 Kick-A$% ESL Resources for Teachers
- GoAbroad: How I View Voluntourism in my Country
- GoAbroad: 5 Tips for Teaching English Abroad as a Person of Color
- GoAbroad: 6 Best Places to Teach English in Japan
- GoAbroad: Study Abroad in Asia Throw Down: Tokyo vs. Hong Kong
- GoAbroad: 10 Things to Expect Before High School in Japan
- GoAbroad: 5 Challenges You Will Face Studying Abroad in Japan
- GoAbroad: Things No One Ever Tells You About Interning in Japan
- GoAbroad: 9 Things Interns in New Zealand Should Always Do
- GoAbroad: How to Find “Sweet As” Jobs in New Zealand
- GoAbroad: Finding Your Perfect Job in South Korea
- GoAbroad: Top Paying Jobs in the UAE If You’re Searching for #ExpatLife
- GoAbroad: You Should Absolutely be Asking These Questions Before Finding Internships in the UK
- GoAbroad: 8 Summer 2017-2018 Study Abroad Programs that are Easy on your Wallet
- GoAbroad: Master’s Degrees We Bet You Didn’t Know You Could Get Abroad
- GoAbroad: Study Abroad Program Showdown: Direct Enrollment vs. Affiliate Program
- GoAbroad: Study Abroad Housing: Is One Better Than the Other?
- GoAbroad: 10 Advantages of Getting Your Undergraduate Degree Abroad (Besides Being Cooler Than Your Friends)
- GoAbroad: Should I Study Abroad in Europe or Asia?
- GoAbroad: Crunching the Numbers: 6 Tips to Create (& Stick to) Your Study Abroad Budget
- GoAbroad: 3 ESL Lesson Plans Fit For Any TEFL Teacher
- GoAbroad: I’m Freshly TEFL Certified: Now What?
- GoAbroad: Real Life Teach Abroad Salary Negotiations & What You Can Learn From Them
- GoAbroad: Breaking Down the Cost of TEFL Certification
- GoAbroad: 13 Things I Realized When Teaching Abroad
- The Culture Trip: Top 10 Things To See And Do On The Oki Islands
- GoNOMAD: Trinidad: Off The Beaten Path
- Ins and Outs of Trinidad and Tobago: The People’s Canvas; Pottery – a labor of love
- GoAbroad: Author interview – Suzanne Bhagan
WANT TO WORK WITH ME?
In 2015, Jesse and I partnered with Nishinoshima Tourism Association in Japan to promote the Oki Islands as a viable tourist destination for both domestic and international travelers. If you’re a travel/tour company or a tourism board, and you like what you’ve seen and read so far, drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
FIND ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA