Hot Foot Trini: writer from Trinidad and Tobago “hot footing” it across the globe through books and travel
Hot Foot Trini © 2011-2018 is the brainchild of Suzanne Bhagan, a writer from Trinidad and Tobago. Since 2011, the blog has evolved from a personal travel diary to an attempt to travel literally and figuratively. It’s also enhanced by beautiful photos taken by Jesse, Suzanne’s husband and main travel partner.
Hot Foot Trini focuses on meaningful travel, specifically:
- extracting the travel lessons learned on the road and beyond.
- engaging in literary travel by reading fiction and nonfiction books set in a particular country/region to get a deeper sense of place.
- shining a light on off the beaten track destinations.
- engaging with local people in each travel destination.
- offering tips on how to travel responsibly and sustainably.
MORE ABOUT SUZANNE
Suzanne’s work has been featured on reputable travel websites and magazines like Matador Network, Savvy Tokyo, GoNOMAD, She’s Wanderful, World Nomads, The Culture Trip, and Caribbean Beat. She’s also a Meaningful Travel Insider (MTI) for GoAbroad.
Here’s what her bosses have to say about her writing skills:
“Suzanne has been a freelance contributor to GoAbroad.com since November of 2015 and has consistently delivered well-written, comprehensive, and engaging pieces. Her experiences have primed her to give excellent travel advice to aspiring nomads. She has continuously expressed interest in additional projects and has consistently improved her writing style and voice to match the goals of our publication. Ultimately, she’s reliable, a team player, and would make an excellent asset to any writing team. She comes with my highest recommendation!”
-Megan Lee, Director, GoAbroad
“It’s my absolute pleasure to recommend Suzanne as a freelance writer and editor.
Suzanne and I have worked closely at GoAbroad for the last year.
I thoroughly enjoy my time working with Suzanne, and can attest to her being a truly valuable asset to absolutely any team. She is honest, very dependable, and incredibly hard-working. Beyond that, she is an impressive writer who is always turning in work well before her deadlines (an editor’s dream!).
Her knowledge of international travel and expertise in working/teaching abroad was a huge advantage to our entire writing team. She puts this skillset to work in order to totally rock every assignment I’ve thrown her way— even the more obscure ones.
Along with her undeniable talent, Suzanne has always been an absolute joy to work with. Without a doubt, I confidently recommend Suzanne. As a dedicated and knowledgeable writer and an all-around great person, I know that she will be a beneficial addition to any writing team.”
– Erin Oppenheim, Content Manager and Editor, GoAbroad
Where she’s been so far: Trinidad and Tobago, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Barbados, US, Canada, England, Scotland, Wales, Norway, Austria, Jordan, Egypt, China, Japan, India, Singapore, Malaysia, Fiji, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Macau
MORE ABOUT JESSE
Jesse is the main man behind the lens. He’s a freelance photographer and creator of Live Lyfe Photography. His stunning photos have been featured on well-known travel/lifestyle websites like GaijinPot Savvy Tokyo, She’s Wanderful, The Culture Trip, and Connect. He has also worked closely with Nishinoshima Tourism Association (Shimane, Japan), Derek Prince Ministries (Bengaluru, India), Mystic Jaisalmer Hotel (Jaisalmer, India), and Jamaican poet and author, Juleus Ghunta.
Where he’s been so far: Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, Grenada, St. Lucia, Guyana, Venezuela, US, Canada, Japan, Malaysia, India
- GoAbroad: So You Wanna Try Teaching English Abroad in Your 30s?
- GoAbroad: TEFL Career: Can You Hack Teaching Abroad Long Term?
- GoAbroad: What to Pack for Teaching English Abroad
- GoAbroad: 7 Homestay in Japan Tips to Help You Become Family Fast
- GoAbroad: Get that Paper Without $pending It: 3 Countries with Free Tuition
- GoAbroad: Teacher Exchange Programs: What They Are & How You Can Do One
- GoAbroad: Announcing the Official GoAbroad Top Travel Destinations Report for 2018
- GoAbroad: If You’re Looking for a Life Change, Try Teaching English in Taiwan
- GoAbroad: How to Pay for Teaching English Abroad
- GoAbroad: What You Need to Teach Business English Like the Boss You Are
- GoAbroad: BLARGH! Which TEFL Course Should I Take?!
- GoAbroad: Teaching English Online: Convenient, Meaningful & a Great Way to Get Money
- GoAbroad: A guide to working holiday gap years
- GoAbroad: A guide to a gap year in Senegal
- GoAbroad: 9 Best Places for Volunteer Teaching Abroad
- GoAbroad: Study Abroad Funding—How to Get Money to Study Abroad
- GoAbroad: Why You Should Start Your Teaching English Abroad Career Now
- GoAbroad: Teach English Abroad: A Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners
- GoAbroad: Teaching English in Korea Will Make You Rich (& Other Helpful Info)
- GoAbroad: Teach English Abroad and Get Paid for It — Here’s How
- GoAbroad: How to get your TEFL certification online
- GoAbroad: Best intensive Spanish immersion programs for 2018-2019
- GoAbroad: Why English language teaching is a dream career
- GoAbroad: Deciding where to study abroad – not as easy as it sounds
- GoAbroad: 8 Student Exchange Programs for College-Bound Teens
- GoAbroad: 10 Highest Paid Teaching Jobs Abroad in 2017-2018
- GoAbroad: Is Teaching English Abroad a Good Idea?
- GoAbroad: Not Just for Teens: Gap Year Travel Programs
- GoAbroad: 5 best cities for studying in Korea
- GoAbroad: 8 Affordable Summer Study Abroad Programs for 2017-2018
- GoAbroad: Get Right Down to Business with a 3 Month Internship Abroad
- GoAbroad: 10 Kick-A$% ESL Resources for Teachers
- GoAbroad: How I View Voluntourism in my Country
- GoAbroad: 5 Tips for Teaching English Abroad as a Person of Color
- GoAbroad: 6 Best Places to Teach English in Japan
- GoAbroad: Study Abroad in Asia Throw Down: Tokyo vs. Hong Kong
- GoAbroad: 10 Things to Expect Before High School in Japan
- GoAbroad: 5 Challenges You Will Face Studying Abroad in Japan
- GoAbroad: Things No One Ever Tells You About Interning in Japan
- GoAbroad: 9 Things Interns in New Zealand Should Always Do
- GoAbroad: How to Find “Sweet As” Jobs in New Zealand
- GoAbroad: Finding Your Perfect Job in South Korea
- GoAbroad: Top Paying Jobs in the UAE If You’re Searching for #ExpatLife
- GoAbroad: You Should Absolutely be Asking These Questions Before Finding Internships in the UK
- GoAbroad: 8 Summer 2017-2018 Study Abroad Programs that are Easy on your Wallet
- GoAbroad: Master’s Degrees We Bet You Didn’t Know You Could Get Abroad
- GoAbroad: Study Abroad Program Showdown: Direct Enrollment vs. Affiliate Program
- GoAbroad: Study Abroad Housing: Is One Better Than the Other?
- GoAbroad: 10 Advantages of Getting Your Undergraduate Degree Abroad (Besides Being Cooler Than Your Friends)
- GoAbroad: Should I Study Abroad in Europe or Asia?
- GoAbroad: Crunching the Numbers: 6 Tips to Create (& Stick to) Your Study Abroad Budget
- GoAbroad: 3 ESL Lesson Plans Fit For Any TEFL Teacher
- GoAbroad: I’m Freshly TEFL Certified: Now What?
- GoAbroad: Real Life Teach Abroad Salary Negotiations & What You Can Learn From Them
- GoAbroad: Breaking Down the Cost of TEFL Certification
- GoAbroad: 13 Things I Realized When Teaching Abroad
- Caribbean Beat: Word of mouth: long days by the beach
- Caribbean Beat: Soup Without Borders
- She’s Wanderful: Please Stop Telling Me My Country Does Not Exist
- Matador Network: 19 Trinidad sayings everyone should start saying
- Matador Network: 10 unforgettable street foods you have to try in Trinidad and Tobago
- Matador Network: 23 signs you were born and raised in Trinidad and Tobago
- Matador Network: 9 fears only those from Trinidad and Tobago can understand
- Matador Network: How to piss off someone from Trinidad and Tobago
- Matador Network: 12 lies guidebooks tell you about Trinidad and Tobago
- Matador Network: The 8 best hangover cures in Japan
- Matador Network: 10 things that happen to you when you move to Japan
- Savvy Tokyo: The Stunning Beaches of Shimane Prefecture
- Savvy Tokyo: Taking it slow in Jaisalmer, India’s golden city
- Savvy Tokyo: A weekend getaway in Kuala Lumpur
- Savvy Tokyo: Izumo, the land of the gods
- Savvy Tokyo: Getting your head around fascinating Delhi
- Savvy Tokyo: Immerse yourself in real Japan at Mihonoseki
- Savvy Tokyo: Explore the unexplored in Tottori Prefecture
- Savvy Tokyo: Matsue: an underrated culture destination
- World Nomads: 6 Things I Wish I Knew Before Travelling to Japan
- World Nomads: Hiroshima Must-Do: Discover Japan’s Most Infamous City
- World Nomads: Our Pick of Hiroshima’s Must-Try Bars & Restaurants
- The Culture Trip: Top 10 Things To See And Do On The Oki Islands
- GoNOMAD: Trinidad: Off The Beaten Path
- Ins and Outs of Trinidad and Tobago: The People’s Canvas; Pottery – a labor of love
- Moko Magazine: How the Professor made History
GoAbroad: Author interview – Suzanne Bhagan
Culture Trekking: Connecting with Trinidad and Tobago
Matador Network: 4 women share their stories of visiting mosques as non-Muslims
HOT FOOT TRINI ON SOCIAL MEDIA